Kyoto University is participating in the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) as one of its Anchor Universities.
The AFLSP grants scholarship to high calibre Asian students to study abroad within Asia. Under the administration of Bai Xian Asia Institute (BXAI), the AFLSP provides a platform on which students and educational institutions in East Asia can cultivate lasting relationships based on mutual trust and understanding ‐‐‐ essential tools for building bridges across cultures.
Please visit Bai Xian Asia Institute’s Website for more details:
Monthly amount: Approximately 150,000 Japanese yen.
An amount equivalent to 535,800 Japanese yen to cover tuition for one year and 282,000 Japanese yen to cover admission fees shall be paid separately.
Note: As the scholarship shall be paid in Japanese yen, the actual amount received may vary depending on the exchange rate.
Maximum of two years
Number of recipients
Approximately ten, throughout the university
(* Application Guidelines for October 2018/ April 2019 Entry have been updated)
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Only applicants who meet all of the following criteria shall be considered:
- Supportive of the AFLSP’s purposes, possess strong personal integrity, interested in international and intercultural understanding and goodwill, and prepared to contribute.
- Citizenship of an Asian country other than Japan, and prospective status of residence in Japan of “College Student” at the time the scholarship is awarded (those with multiple citizenship of Japan and other country/ies are not eligible).
- Under 35 years of age at the time of application.
- High proficiency in English (English proficiency at a level roughly equivalent to a TOEFL iBT score of 90 or more is preferred).
- Completed a bachelor’s degree at one of the designated institutions below (in the case of those who graduated from a university in China, it must be a university classified as “full-time undergraduate” (全日制本科), or are expecting to complete such a degree at one of the institutions below by the beginning of the scholarship term
- China:Peking University, Tsinghua University (in Beijing), Fudan University, Zhejiang University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Xi’an Jiao Tong University, Nanjing University, University of Science and Technology of China, Nankai University, Wuhan University
- Hong Kong:The University of Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Taiwan:National Taiwan University, National Tsing Hua University
- South Korea:Seoul National University, Korea University, Yonsei University
- Singapore:National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University
- Vietnam:Vietnam National University, Hanoi
- Thailand:Chulalongkorn University
- Expecting to enroll as a regular (degree-seeking) student (master’s [post-doctoral], doctoral, 5-year doctoral, professional degree program) at a graduate school of Kyoto University in October 2018 or April 2019, and planning to complete that degree program in the standard number of years.
- Completed the screening procedures at the Kyoto University Admissions Assistance Office (AAO) by the
beginning of the scholarship term.
Note: This procedure is applicable only to those who graduated or will graduate from a designated university in China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan.
- Recommended by a supervising university professor or by an individual of equivalent status.
- Never previously received an AFLSP Scholarship.
- In genuine need of financial support.
- In sound physical and mental health, with high moral standards, and an outstanding academic record.
- Remain enrolled at Kyoto University as a full-time student for the duration of participation in the AFLSP.
- Not be a recipient of any other scholarship or other form of funding support by a third party, unless otherwise agreed with Kyoto University and BXAI.
- Not take up paid employment, full-time or part-time, while enrolled at the university and receiving the benefit of the scholarship, unless granted permission.
- Participation in the BXAI Summer Program (an annually held program lasting for approximately three weeks) and other exchange events held as part of the AFLSP during the scholarship term.
- Participation in the following programs provided for AFLSP recipients (participation in other programs may also be required):
- AFLSP student orientation
- Classes on comparative cultural studies and international relations in East Asia
- Seminars on international relations, etc.
- East Asian language studies (including self-guided studies)
- Presentation of study achievements
- Active participation in international exchange and social engagement activities.
- Submission of study reports and activity reports by the designated deadlines.
May 1 to May 31, 2018 (closes at 17:00 p.m. Japan time).
Application guidelines / Application documents
Application guidelines for October 2018/April 2019 Entry
How to Apply: ONLINE Registration
The primary screening will be based on the application documents. Those who pass the primary screening will then be required to take an interview.
International Education and Student Mobility Division, Kyoto University
E-mail: AFLSP *mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace the * with @)