Kyoto University is participating in the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) as one of its Anchor Universities.
The AFLSP grants scholarship to high calibre Asian students to study abroad within Asia. Under the administration of Bai Xian Asia Institute (BXAI), the AFLSP provides a platform on which students and educational institutions in East Asia can cultivate lasting relationships based on mutual trust and understanding ‐‐‐ essential tools for building bridges across cultures.
Please visit Bai Xian Asia Institute’s Website for more details:
Annual amount: 25,000 U.S. dollars approximately （the scholarship shall be paid in Japanese yen, the actual amount received may vary depending on the exchange rate.）
Maximum of two years
Number of recipients
Approximately ten, throughout the university
(* Application Guidelines for October 2017/ April 2018 Entry have been updated)
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Only applicants who meet all of the following criteria shall be considered:
- Supportive of the AFLSP’s purposes, possess strong personal integrity, interested in international and intercultural understanding and goodwill, and prepared to contribute.
- Citizenship of an Asian country other than Japan, and prospective status of residence in Japan of “College Student” at the time the scholarship is awarded (those with multiple citizenship of Japan and other country/ies are not eligible).
- Under 35 years of age at the time of application.
- High proficiency in English (English proficiency at a level roughly equivalent to a TOEFL iBT score of 90 or more is preferred).
- Completed a bachelor’s degree at a designated institution (in the case of those who graduated from a
university in China , it must be a university classified as “full-time undergraduate” (全日制本科), or who are
expecting to complete such a degree by the beginning of the scholarship term.
Designated institutions: Peking University, Tsinghua University (in Beijing), Fudan University, Zhejiang University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Xi’an Jiao Tong University, Nanjing University, University of Science and Technology of China, Nankai University, The University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, National Taiwan University, Seoul National University
- Expecting to enroll as a regular (degree-seeking) student (master’s [post-doctoral], doctoral, 5-year doctoral, professional degree program) at a graduate school of Kyoto University in October 2017 or April 2018, and planning to complete that degree program in the standard number of years.
- Completed the screening procedures at the Kyoto University Admissions Assistance Office (AAO) by the
beginning of the scholarship term.
Note: Those who graduated/will graduate from a Korean university should also follow this procedure.
- Recommended by a supervising university professor or by an individual of equivalent status.
- Never previously received an AFLSP Scholarship.
- In genuine need of financial support.
- In sound physical and mental health, with high moral standards, and an outstanding academic record.
- Remain enrolled at Kyoto University as a full-time student for the duration of participation in the AFLSP.
- Not be a recipient of any other scholarship or other form of funding support by a third party, unless otherwise agreed with Kyoto University and BXAI.
- Not take up paid employment, full-time or part-time, while enrolled at the university and receiving the benefit of the scholarship, unless otherwise agreed with Kyoto University and BXAI.
- Participation in the BXAI Summer Program (an annually held program lasting for approximately three weeks) and other exchange events held as part of the AFLSP during the scholarship term.
- Participation in the following programs provided for AFLSP recipients (participation in other programs may also be required):
- AFLSP student orientation
- Classes on comparative cultural studies and international relations in East Asia
- Seminars on international relations, etc.
- East Asian language studies (including self-guided studies)
- Presentation of study achievements
- Active participation in international exchange and social engagement activities.
- Submission of study reports and activity reports by the designated deadlines.
May 15 to May 31, 2017 (closes at 17:00 p.m. Japan time).
Application guidelines / Application documents
Application guidelines for October 2017/April 2018 Entry
How to Apply: ONLINE Registration
The primary screening will be based on the application documents. Those who pass the primary screening will then be required to take an interview.
International Education and Student Mobility Division, Kyoto University
E-mail: AFLSP *mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace the * with @)