The Amgen Scholars Program at Kyoto University aims to support international and domestic students so they can study at Kyoto University as vacation scholars.
In accordance with an instruction from the Amgen Foundation, Kyoto University selects half of the annual participants from colleges and universities throughout Asia*, while the other half may come from colleges and universities across the globe.
Amgen Scholars Asia Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or quarter
Asia Program applicants must also have:
- A strong record of academic performance; and,
- A good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- An interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
In addition, the applicants must agree that:
- The program may be changed or deferred if holding the program safely and smoothly seems difficult due to the pandemic of the covid-19 the boarder restrictions in Japan.
- A vaccine passport may be required to participate in the program.
*) Asia is defined based on the ‘Classification of Countries by Region’ by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs / Population Division World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision. This currently includes the following 51 countries/areas. Note that Russia is also included in Asia.
- Eastern Asia
China; China, Hong Kong SAR; China, Macao SAR; China, Taiwan Province of China; Democratic People’s Republic of Korea; Japan; Mongolia; Republic of Korea
- South-Eastern Asia
Brunei Darussalam; Cambodia; Indonesia; Lao People’s Democratic Republic; Malaysia; Myanmar; Philippines; Singapore; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Viet Nam
- Central Asia
Kazakhstan; Kyrgyzstan; Tajikistan; Turkmenistan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Bhutan; India; Iran (Islamic Republic of); Maldives; Nepal; Pakistan; Sri Lanka
- Western Asia
Armenia; Azerbaijan; Bahrain; Cyprus; Georgia; Iraq; Israel; Jordan; Kuwait; Lebanon; Oman; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; State of Palestine; Syrian Arab Republic; Turkey; United Arab Emirates; Yemen